Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Trying my Hands at Bread

I am no where near the stage of sharing my own recipes for bread, as I am just learning.  A neophyte bread maker...  And for good reason; I resent several things about store bought bread.  For starters, it seems to have quadrupled in price in the last 10 years.  Secondly, it never goes hard or moldy.  That, I know, is not a good thing.  I think it was Michael Pollan in his book on "In Defence of Food" who wrote, "If it doesn't rot, don't eat it!"

So here are some positive thoughts on bread.  1- It takes time; we don't do much anymore that takes time, that has steps and stages, that requires waiting... 2- Kneading dough is just about the best therapy you can take for any feeling that ails you; you can work it out with bread, 3- It makes your house smell absolutely divine in a way that a microwaved dish never will, 4- You can slice it how you like and it makes a killer sandwich.

I'm not talking bread maker, I'm speaking the language of homemade, handmade breads.  Stay tuned for recipes, as I aspire to bake good stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment